We are made wise not by the recollection of our past, but by the responsibility for our future. - George Bernard Shaw

14 December 2009

Week 9, Thing 19: Wikis and Libraries

Disclaimer: I love wikis. I would use them all the time if I could. I understand and am aware of their drawbacks and inerhant problems as far as being a credible and/or academic source, but I love them anyway. In just seconds you can learn about anything from how to care for a house plant to a brief or complete history of the French Revolution. Taken with a grain of salt, wikis can be a great learning tool.

They are also great for libraries. I like the idea of a library posting a book review and patrons being able to make their own comments. Part of the idea of a folksonomy (which I discussed in a previous post), wikis can provide library patrons with both a professional and a more common review of a new book. I also like the idea of a library using a wiki to promote their local history collections. A wiki offers a great outlet for the discussion of history and certain photographs or newspaper articles or events could be posted to the wiki for patrons to read and/or comment on.

Wikis are a great way for people to become more involved with their library, history, and their reading experiences.

No comments: