We are made wise not by the recollection of our past, but by the responsibility for our future. - George Bernard Shaw

17 December 2009

Week 10, Thing 24: 25 Things: A Conclusion

Well, I've completed my 25 Things exercises. This is the final post related to the Web 2.0 program. I've really enjoyed going through the 'things' and even though I was familiar with many of them, I learned a lot of new things.

Some of the highlights of this exercise were image generators, YouTube, Flickr, and podcasts and I use them in my professional and personal life. In the new year I will be updating the Our Ontario/Whitby Archives Flickr account and I am using Bloglines to stay current with the programs of other libraries and archives.

What I'm taking away from all the things I've learned is that it is important to stay on top of popular technological trends, especially when you work in a public institution like a library, museum, or archives. In order to remain relevant in a world that is constantly advancing and moving ahead, these institutions need to be able to provide services that make sense to patrons. We need to be able to reach out to patrons and offer them 'things' that are current and relate to their dynamic lifestyles. Otherwise, you'll wake up and realize you're still using a TYPEWRITER!

Thanks to everyone who helped to create and promote the Whitby Public Library 25 Things. It was well worth it!

2 comments:

Christy said...

LOL!

Andrea Melvin said...

I looked through your 25 things list and it looks awesome! That's a great exercise for people who were maybe stranded on a deserted island for the past 5 years and wanting a quick look at some of technologies of our day:) I think it's true that we have to keep on top of things if working in museums, libraries or archives for the reasons you mention. Can't wait to read your next posts!