We are made wise not by the recollection of our past, but by the responsibility for our future. - George Bernard Shaw

19 November 2010

Reading...Canadian Themes

This country has a plethora of outstanding authors that have written award-winning fiction and non-fiction titles. Alice Munro, Margaret Atwood, and Yann Martel are some of our more recognizable authors but there are many accomplished writers that haven't quite reached the same level of fame and well deserve reading. I recently attended two lectures by UBC's Sherrill Grace at Trent University and have thoroughly enjoyed her examination of Canadian landscape and memory through literature, film, and art. I left both lectures with a long list of new reading material that I am anxious to start reading. I am currently reading Canoe Lake by Roy MacGregor, author of a number of books on Canadian artist, Tom Thomson and the Canadian wilderness.

Here are some of the other books that I've added to my reading queue. Have you read any of them?

2 comments:

Susan said...

I really liked Fugitive Pieces. She writes in a poetic style. Have you tried 'The Englishman's Boy', 'The Whirlpool', 'Where Nests the Water Hen', 'Fruits of the Earth' for the ever-present impact of Canadian landscape?

Sarah said...

I've been meaning to read The Whirlpool. I really really really enjoyed the Stone Carvers. Urquhart is a wonderful writer. : )