We are made wise not by the recollection of our past, but by the responsibility for our future. - George Bernard Shaw

03 November 2010

The Forgotten Battle

Yesterday's post got me interested in my grandfather's participation in the Second World War. He served in Alaska, part of the Aleutian Islands Campaign fought primarily between the United States and Japan. Sometimes known as the Forgotten Battle, the events that took place in the Aleutian Islands pale in comparison to other Pacific campaigns like Pearl Harbour, Japan, and Hong Kong.

My grandfather, Colman, was a member of the 6th Canadian Infantry Division and participated in Operation Cottage in August 1943. The goal of Operation Cottage was to invade Kiska and reclaim the island from the Japanese who had occupied it since 1942. Allied troops, consisting mostly of Americans, landed unopposed on the island only to discover that the Japanese had abandoned the island two days prior.

While it isn't the most exciting story, I never had the chance to talk to my grandfather about his war experience. He died when I wasn't yet interested in history and family history and, being a Canadian-Hungarian, he wasn't confident in his English language skills to communicate what I can only imagine would be complicated feelings.

As a young girl (I was about 12 or 13 when he died), I couldn't have imagined him as a soldier carrying a Bren gun. To me he was my silent grandpa who just nodded when I asked him to play baseball, push me on the swing, or watch me do magic tricks. Now that I know more about his war experiences, I am more proud than ever.

Check back next week for Remembrance Day photos of my grandpa and great-uncle!

No comments: