We are made wise not by the recollection of our past, but by the responsibility for our future. - George Bernard Shaw

26 December 2007

How Spiders (and Blogger) Saved My Blog

I deleted my blog about a week ago. I'd like to say it was an experiment, but it wasn't. The incident occurred in an attempt to delete a group blog that had fallen into disuse. After a day of panicking and then emailing Blogger and my digital history professor, I calmed down. I discovered (with help and advice from a special someone) that I could recover my deleted posts by searching their titles on Google.

Instead of clicking on the title of my blog post, I clicked on Cached. This turned up Google's cache, or archive, of my blog. I then copied and pasted the text and pictures into my new/old blog (After deleting my blog, I immediately reserved the same domain name and title by re-registering for a blog on Blogger). I was delighted, and even more so when I realized my links remained active.

I couldn't help but think of how my experience tied into my previous blogs about Internet archiving and Facebook. If I delete my blog again, by accident or otherwise, my posts and ideas have been archived by Google's life-saving spiders and are available for anyone to access. I can't help but think of the amount of resources this might provide future researchers or historians.

But I don't need to repeat my previous posts, you can read them for yourself now that I have successfully restored them. I am thankful I was able to recover my blog and I have Google's creepy, crawly spiders to thank for taking snapshots of my blog and archiving it before it was deleted.

P.S. After posting this entry I promptly received an email from a helpful Blogger employee informing me that they had restored my old blog. Moral of the story? There is a lot of archiving and caching going on and, as a result, no blog need ever be lost again!

1 comment:

admin said...

good for you. i have my blogger blogs deleted.. i could still see it's cached.. i contacted blogger just today but no response yet. if blogger only know mow much my blogs mean to me they'll really feel the sadness and pain am feeling right now.. i used the contact form in contacting blogger.

do you know of any blogger employee that can help me out..

im seriously in need of help and i've been online since my blogs got deleted.its tiring but i wont give up until i get my blogs back.. email me: talkingidiot at gmail dot com.

thank you so much..